As the New York Times put it, Riding a wave of discontent, “Republicans took control of the Senate on Tuesday night, expanded their hold on the House, and defended some of the most closely contested governors’ races, in a repudiation of President Obama.”
In another Times article it was reported that Obama complained that the Republican victory should not be blamed on him:
“He doesn’t feel repudiated.”
Obama should feel repudiated. As summarized below, the Republican wave was big and Obama made a monster mistake when he nationalized the midterm election telling his audience at Northwestern University his policies were on the ballot:
Now, I am not on the ballot this fall. Michelle is pretty happy about that. But make no mistake: These policies are on the ballot — every single one of them.
Here’s a summary of the midterm Obama repudiation referendum.
The Republicans regained control of the U.S. Senate by picking up eight seats, so far.
- Alaska: Republican Dan Sullivan defeated incumbent Democrat Sen. Mark Begich (D-AK)Heritage ActionScorecardSen. Mark BegichSenate Democrat AverageSee Full Scorecard10% 49%-45.
- Arkansas: Republican Rep. Tom Cotton (R-AR)Heritage ActionScorecardRep. Tom CottonHouse Republican AverageSee Full Scorecard82% defeated incumbent Democrat Sen. Mark Pryor (D-AR)Heritage ActionScorecardSen. Mark PryorSenate Democrat AverageSee Full Scorecard9% 57%-39%.
- Colorado: Republican Rep. Cory Gardner (R-CO)Heritage ActionScorecardRep. Cory GardnerHouse Republican AverageSee Full Scorecard57% defeated incumbent Democrat Sen. Mark Udall (D-CO)Heritage ActionScorecardSen. Mark UdallSenate Democrat AverageSee Full Scorecard0% 49%-45% (94.64% reporting).
- Georgia: Republican David Perdue defeated Democrat Michelle Nunn 53%-45% to replace retiring Republican Sen. Saxby Chambliss (R-GA)Heritage ActionScorecardSen. Saxby ChamblissSenate Republican AverageSee Full Scorecard50%.
- Iowa: Republican state Sen. Joni Ernst defeated Democrat Rep. Bruce Braley (D-IA)Heritage ActionScorecardRep. Bruce BraleyHouse Democrat AverageSee Full Scorecard4% <a class="colorbox" …read more